Sunday Morning... Woke-up with a hangover-ish feeling.
Hungover because I was partying till 11:00 and I was drunk! Drunk because, I had Whiskey. I had Whiskey because, I was coughing (that lingering annoying dry cough) and my friend told me alcohol would help(with the cough, of course). So, I went ahead had whiskey - one teaspoonful! I am not kidding.
"They" say, to cure a "spoonful-of-whiskey-hangover", you have to go go shopping. I take seriously whatever "they" say.
So, I planned to go shopping. I just wanted one thing - I was desperate for a new pair of jeans. I will buy the jeans and while I am at the shop, I will look for a few summer dresses - I won't buy them, just look and try a couple(we all know how that will end). And since, I might have these new summer dresses, I would definitely need a few accessories to go with them. May be I will "look" at matching shoes for the dresses. May be, just maybe, the store will have winter clearance sale. Imagine the tons of money I would save next year if I buy my next year's winter stuff this year. I am so good with money (I did pat myself on the back).
And when I go shopping, we go shopping. My husband insists that he comes with me when I go shopping. He says that he loves being with me and can give me valuable inputs. He does not know that I know the real reason behind him insisting on accompanying me on these shopping trips - to keep me under control. Like that has "controlled" me so far! And poor Sonshine has no other option than to come with us.
I had to get the dinner ready, before we went shopping. Once we are done buying that one jeans that I had to buy, I knew I would have 3 hungry souls to feed. I had some leftover rice and couple of stir frys, so I was not worried. The only thing I had to get done was a gravy dish. And I had about 30 minutes to get dinner ready, get myself ready and get out of the house. I got the dinner ready in 20 minutes and my self ready in the next 5 (I can get ready really fast - when I have to go shopping). We even had 5 minutes to spare, so we took pictures of tomato curry. And then we went shopping.
When we reached the store, they were closed. CLOSED!!!!!
I am still hungover!
- 2 Tomatoes roughly chopped
- 1 Serrano Pepper slit length-wise
- ¼ tsp Turmeric
- ¼ tsp Cayenne Pepper adjust according to your taste
- Salt to taste
- ⅔ Cup Coconut grated
- ½ tsp Cumin Seeds
- ¼ tsp Mustard Seeds
- ⅛ tsp Methi Seeds Fenugreek Seeds, optional
- 4-5 Curry Leaves
- 1 Whole Red Chilli
- 2 tsp Canola oil
- Start making the curry by boiling tomatoes with water, Serrano pepper, turmeric, cayenne pepper and salt. Boil till the tomatoes are cooked well.
- While tomatoes are cooking, grind the coconut and cumin seeds to a smooth paste in a mixer-grinder or food processor using very little water.
- Once the tomatoes are cooked, add the ground coconut paste. Add more water if required to adjust the consistency. Adjust the spices and salt. Bring to boil.
- Heat oil in a small pan, add the mustard seeds. When they splutter, add the methi(fenugreek) seeds.
- When methi seeds start to brown, add the curry leaves and the whole red chilli. Turn off the heat.
- Pour the spice infused oil along with spices into the boiling tomato curry.
- Enjoy with rice or roti.
I still remember my mom making this on her busy days or when her stock of vegetables is over. Its either daali thoy or this 🙂 I really love this with rice !
Framed Recipes says
Yes, Kavitha. This is that kind of dish. A quick fix, when you are hard pressed for time.