Grand Daddy Of All Konkani Dishes…
Today, it's my pleasure, to introduce you to a dish, that has taken Konkani cuisine by storm for over hundreds of years.
It's such an integral part of the Konkani cuisine, that a feast or meal without it is considered incomplete.
A Konkani legacy,the grand daddy (or mommy, for all my feminist friends) of all Konkani dishes....
Without further ado, lets welcome,
- ½ cup Toor Dal
- a pinch Turmeric optional
- 1 tsp Ghee or Canola oil
- 2 Whole Red Chilli adjust to your taste
- 4-5 Curry Leaves
- ½ tsp Mustard Seeds
- 2 pinches Asafoetida
- ½ tsp Cumin Seeds optional
- Pressure cook toor dal with 2 cups of water and turmeric . See tips.
- Once all the steam has escaped, open the pressure cooker lid and mash the cooked dal with the back of a ladle.
- Add salt and 1 more cup of water and boil.
- Drop a teaspoon of ghee to small pan, when the ghee is hot, add mustard seeds.
- When it splutters, add the cumin seeds, curry leaves.
- Switch off the heat, add the whole red chillies, halved and asafoetida.
- When the red chillies start to change color, pour the seasoned ghee along with the spices, over the boiling dal.
- Serve hot with rice or roti.