I was in the mood for Zucchini bread. A yummy zucchini bread, with a slightly Italian flavor.
I love everything Italian.
Only thing I hate about Italy is the fact that my husband went to Italy without me on a business trip. But that's not Italy's fault, right?
So, I love everything Italian.
Al Pacino in The Godfather.
Al Pacino in Scent Of A Woman
Al Pacino in...
No wait.. where am I going with this?
So, my hunt for the savory Zucchini bread led me to this recipe. I made only minor changes in the spices used in the original recipe.
I made it and loved it - the lovely braided bread.
I found my Italian flavored Zucchini bread. Now let me go find Al Pacino.
- 1.5 cups All Purpose Flour or maida See Recipe Notes
- ½ cup Wheat Flour See Recipe Notes
- 1 Egg
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- ¼ tsp Carom Seeds or ajwain
- ¾ tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 cup zucchini grated
- 1 tbsp Basil Leaves fresh or dried
- 1 tbsp Active Dry Yeast See Recipe Notes
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 1 tsp Salt
Make the Dough
- In a large mixing bowl, mix all the ingredients and knead into a soft dough. Add water a little at a time, working your way to make a soft dough. You would need a little less than ¼ cup water.
- Grease the bowl and the dough with a little oil. Cover the bowl with a cling film and let it sit in a warm place for 2 hours.
- After two hours, the dough would rise to double it's volume.
- Punch the dough down.
Braiding the loaf
- Dust your working surface lightly with flour and divide the dough into 3 equal sized portions.
- Roll the dough ball into a rope. The length of the rope should be almost the same as the size of your baking pan.
- Repeat rolling the other two balls into ropes.
- Place the three ropes next to each other and start braiding. If you have a favorite braiding technique follow that. If not, follow the next three steps.
- Start from the top. Place the right rope on top of the center rope and bring the center rope under it to the right. (Now, the center rope is the right rope and right rope is the new center one).
- Place the left rope on top of the center rope and bring the center rope under it to the left. (Now, the center rope is the left rope and left rope is the new center one).
- Repeat the above steps till the whole length of the ropes are used up.
- Pinch the ends together (on both sides) and tuck the ends under the bread, neatly.
- Brush with oil. And place in the greased loaf pan.
- Let the dough rise again for another 30 minutes.
Bake the bread
- Preheat the oven to 350 degree Fahrenheit (180 degree Celsius). Place the loaf pan in the preheated oven and bake for 40 minutes.
- Serve warm or toasted with butter or tomato pesto..