Asparagus Stir Fry
Vegetarian/Vegan asparagus stir fry - simple, effortless, delicious! Finally, spring is here and it is asparagus season. Fresh asparagus spears abound in my local grocer as well as farmers' market. I can never resist them.
I have adapted the Kerala style thoran to use asparagus and it is such an easy & simple recipe that you can prepare as a side dish every time you find asparagus :).
This stir fry is made in the footsteps of Kerala-style thoran, seasoned with red chilli flakes, garlic, shallots, and fresh coconut. You can make a no-onion-no-garlic version too.
- 500 grams approx. 1 lb Asparagus
- 1 tablespoon Oil
- 1 teaspoon Mustard Seeds
- 1 teaspoon Cumin Seeds
- 1 teaspoon Udad Dal
- 1 teaspoon Red Chilli Flakes; adjust to taste
- a generous pinch Hing/Asafoetida; optional see Recipe Notes
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- ½ teaspoon Haldi/Turmeric Powder
- Salt to taste
- 20-25 grams ¼ cup Coconut
- 7-8 grams 1 small Pearl Onion/Shallots
- 5-6 grams 1 medium-sized garlic clove
- large skillet/frying pan preferably non-stick or a well-seasoned cast-iron skillet
- chopping board & knife
- cooking spoons
- measuring spoons/cups
- serving dish
how to make asparagus stir fry (Kerala Style Asparagus Thoran)
Wash & chop asparagus stems into small pieces.
Crush coconut, garlic & pearl onions together. (Do this as part of your prep work and keep it ready).[Note: Use the mixer-grinder/blender with a pulse option for this step]
Get all your other ingredients ready.
Heat oil in a large skillet on the stovetop on medium heat. (I use my 11-inch skillet for about 500 grams of asparagus)
Add mustard seeds and when they splutter, add cumin seeds and udad dal. Fry until udad dal turns brown. Add red chilli flakes. Give a quick stir.. Add the curry leaves. [Note: WHen you add curry leaves, they splutter spitting oil.]
Turn the heat from medium to medium-high/high. Add asparagus and haldi. Mix well. Season with salt. Cook on high heat or medium-high heat for a couple of minutes or until asparagus is cooked and is bright green. Stir occasionally to ensure even cooking. [Note: Do not overcook]
Add the crushed coconut mix. Mix well to combine. Turn off the heat.
Transfer to a serving dish. Serve hot.
- 1 CUP = 250 ML. (US cups are typically 240 ml. You can use cups with no significant change to the dish)
- Grams to cups measurements – we strive to provide these conversions as accurately as possible. There might be some slight variations depending on the brand, weighing scale, etc.
- Serving size – This serves 4 people. Adjust the serving size to fit your dietary needs.
- The trick is to not cook the asparagus too much. This is a pretty quick recipe. Once you add the asparagus, you are cooking at a higher heat - consider it like heating through.
- Do not add water while pulsing the coconut or while cooking the asparagus. .
- Hing/Asafoetida is optional. If following a gluten-free diet, read the labels to ensure it is gluten-free.
- Prep Time - Time to chop asparagus and crush coconut, and get ingredients ready. Cook Time - Time for actual cooking.