Crispy, flaky puff pastry filled with warm, bubbly, and delicious fruit filling. Pair this warm Nectarine Galette with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and enjoy.
Well, relaxing days are a little debatable since my days are filled driving around Sonshine to his various activities. In between those times, I squeeze in a little bit of cooking and domestic chores.
Sometimes, when you make desserts with fruits, the crust becomes soggy and mushy and not at all appetizing. To prevent this, my research tells me that covering the pastry sheet with an almond meal helps. Though I never had the problem of soggy crust for this recipe, I would highly recommend lining your puff pastry sheet with some flour or almond meal, if you have had a bad experience with galettes earlier. The flour or almond meal literally soaks up the extra moisture from the fruits leaving your crust not soggy.
- 1 lb about 3-4 numbers or ½ kilogram nectarines; rinsed and sliced.
- 1 frozen puff pastry sheet; thawed
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoon corn starch
- 2 tablespoon unsalted butter cut into small cubes
- 1 tablespoon chopped pistachios
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom or cardamom powder
- 1-2 tablespoon milk
- 1 sachet Turbinado sugar optional
To serve (optional)
- Vanilla Icecream
- Preheat the oven to 400 degree Fahrenheit (205 degree Celsius). [See Recipe Notes]
- Lightly flour a piece of parchment paper.
- Roll out the thawed puff pastry sheet into a 13 inch round. (Do not worry if the shape is not exactly a round).
- Transfer the rolled pastry sheet along with the parchment paper to a baking tray and refrigerate for about 15 minutes.
- Make the fruit filling by mixing the nectarine slices with sugar, ground cardamom, corn starch.
Assembling and baking the nectarine galette
- Remove the chilled puff pastry sheet from the refrigerator.
- Place a circular plate and mark a circle at the center of the puff pastry sheet leaving approximately a 2 inch border on all sides. (Note: Marking this circle is only to help you see where to place the fruit filling).
- Pile the filling as evenly as you can into the center of the puff pastry sheet.
- Place the butter pieces evenly on the fruit filling.
- Pleat and fold the pastry sheet border leaving the center open. Top the fruit filling with pistachios.
- Using a pastry brush, apply milk wash on the border and sprinkle the border with Turbinado sugar.
- Bake the galette at 400 degree Fahrenheit (205 degree Celsius) for about 20-25 minutes or until the fruit filling is all bubbly and the crust is golden brown. [See Recipe Notes]
- Remove from oven, let it stand for about 5-8 minutes.
- Cut into slices and serve warm, with a scoop of ice cream.