Waiting For Summer
When I was a kid, I had a favorite aunt. That does not mean that she is no longer my favorite.
This aunt of mine, is a treasure trove in Konkani recipes. I try to be in her good books all the time.
This aunt of mine makes this Indian Ginger Ale very frequently. I can safely say that this is one of her trade mark recipes. For me, this drink invokes a lot of fond memories - especially the big family reunions during the Navratri festival
With a hint of ginger and lemon and sparkling water all over, it's definitely one of our favorite thirst quenchers.
Waiting eagerly for summer to drink gallons of this.
For the Concentrate
- 50 gms Ginger
- 2 cups Sugar
- 1 Lemon
- 1 cup Water
- Sparkling Water or soda. Chilled
- To make the ginger concentrate
- In a small sauce pan, dissolve 2 cups sugar with 1 cup water, over medium high heat. Let the mixture boil. Turn off the heat. Let it cool down to room temperature.
- Meanwhile, wash and peel the ginger. Mince it into a fine paste using ¼ cup water.
- Sieve the ginger syrup using a fine meshed sieve. Leave it undisturbed till ready to use.
- Squeeze the juice out of the lemon.
- When the sugar syrup has completely cooled down, add the lemon juice and the ginger syrup. When you pour the ginger syrup, make sure that the white sediments at the bottom of the container do not fall into the sugar syrup. Ginger Concentrate is ready.
- This concentrate will last for about a week or so in the refrigerator.
- In a serving glass, pour 1 part of the ginger concentrate.
- To this mix 3 parts chilled sparkling water or soda.
You can also use chilled water instead of sparkling water or soda. But the soda or sparkling water gives it nice tingling feeling.