Edited on 01/015/2021 to improve readability and to add more information :).
Delicious blueberry oats smoothie. Loaded with berries and oats and milk (use a dairy free milk to make a vegan version). Perfect breakfast for the people-on-go.
During summer, we try different smoothies with different fruits and flavors. I cannot think of any other fun and easy way to load up on nutrients at the beginning of the day itself.
Smoothies are fresh, light and keep you full for a pretty long time. Which means you reach for the junk food (the same junk you are trying to avoid) much less.
This blueberry oats smoothie is a simple recipe, a perfect smoothie for the people on the go.
what are the ingredients in the blueberry oats smoothie
what are the "add-ins" for this smoothie?
- protein powder
- flax seeds
- coconut water
Additional Sweetners for the smoothie
I do not add any additional sweeteners to the smoothie. But if you like, you can add honey, maple syrup, agave nectar, any sugar other sugar substitute you use. If you do not like the taste of dates, add apricots (fresh, wherever available or dried) or raisins.
What kind of milk can you use to make the smoothie?
I use regular 2% milk to make the smoothie. But if you are following vegan diet, use any non-dairy milk in the recipe.
can you use fresh blueberries to make the smoothie?
Yes, you can use fresh blue berries to prepare the smoothies. Wash them well under water before adding them to you smoothie. You might want to add a few ice cubes if you are using fresh blueberries.
what kind of oats works best in the blueberry oats smoothie?
Oats are excellent source of fiber and protein content. This blueberry oats is a good way to include oats in your diet. I have use old fashioned oats in the recipe. Quick cooking should work as well if that is what you have in hand.
Inspiration for this smoothie
This recipe is also about reminiscing of the times my friends and I would meet to practice for a little jig for the Telugu Ugadi function over the spring. We often met at my friend Shalini's place for the practice and she always made sure that we were well fed. We needed a lot of energy during the dance practice and smoothies helped us a lot. Shalini used many different varieties of fruit - bananas, apples, oranges, strawberries, mango, etc. Thanks, Shalini. Hugs!
Blueberry Oats Smoothie Recipe Notes
- I have used frozen blueberries in the recipe. If you are using fresh berries, add some ice cubes.
- Instead of dates or apricots, you could also use about 1 tablespoon raisins.
- I use Vitamix for making my smoothies.
- If you like a thicker version of the smoothies, reduce the quantity of milk. We like our smoothies to be a little thinner consistency.
- Optionally, if you like, you can add any sweetener of your choice.
- The serving size is for 1-2 people. I do serve other breakfast items with the smoothie. Adjust to your specific dietary needs.
Looking for more breakfast recipes?
Be sure to check these out:
- Peach Yogurt breakfast bowl - This is like peach lassi for breakfast!! Balle! Balle!
- Spinach Berry Smoothie - We love berry smoothies! This one is vegan and loaded with good ingredients!
- Avocado toast (three ways to enjoy the goodness of avocado butter) - what is there not to love? 🙂
- Chia Seeds Breakfast Bowl - Rainbow in bowl. It is like having dessert for breakfast!
Blueberry Oats Smoothie Recipe
Blueberry Oats Smoothie
- 1.5 cup milk
- 3-4 dates/apricots
- 1 cup frozen blueberries
- ½ cup oats
- Place all ingredients in the blender in the order listed.
- Blend till smooth or until desired consistency is reached.