Vegan Spinach Berry Smoothie is a healthy and nutritious way to start your day.
What gorgeous summer sunshine we have now, in my part of the world. I am spending a lot of time with my Sonshine, both indoors and outdoors. He spends most of his time watching TV, reading books, playing tennis. When he finds something interesting in a book, he shares it with me. Sometimes, I will have no context of what is happening, and in his excitement to share the story, he would have forgotten that. And then when he sees me staring blankly at him, he will start with the book’s prologue.
Back in lower grades of elementary school (oh, I cant believe I am saying this; Sonshine starts middle school, this fall), there was a time, when I used to read all the books he read – yes! all of them! They were simple chapter books, big bold letters, easy reads. We even had friendly competitions as to who can finish a book faster. But recently, I have given up on my reading (of his books)! I realized I will never catch up with him 🙂 . There was a time, when I used to suggest books to him, now he suggests books to me!
One of our summer activities bucket list is to read under the shade of the picnic tree in a park. We even found the tree that we liked so much, but it is at the park where he plays tennis and everyday after tennis, he is so tired that we keep postponing it. I have to make it into my schedule to go to the park just to read under that tree, not to play tennis.
Summer is so much fun!
I like going to grocery stores in summer. Oh, the varieties, the fresh produce, fruits and berries.
So colorful, so nutritious!
One of my friends here in the US introduced me to smoothies. She told me about their nutritional values, and their ease of making. One glass of smoothie, and your daily dose of greens, fruits and nuts covered! (A quick note – my recipe for vegan spinach berry smoothie does not contain nuts. But you could add them, if you like ’em)
I was so happy to find a new “dish”, that was super duper easy, and nutritious. Mornings could not get any better.
Now my friend’s breakfast is mainly smoothie. I realized that along with the smoothie, I was also serving my regular Indian breakfast dishes too. Yes, I truly believe in eating breakfast like a king!
I made smoothie-a-day, an integral part of our breakfast. But there was just one problem. I used to get heartburn by mid-day. Only me! Everyone else in the family was OK. So, I started playing with the ingredients, and I realized that whenever I use strawberries with milk/yogurt, I am getting the heartburn. Somehow, my body did not like/accept that particular combination and was telling me to stop.
That is when I started using coconut water and different combination of berries.
used to frowns upon anything green. His logic: since it is green, it should be healthy, and healthy = tasteless! I think as parents, we are kind of responsible for putting sort of ideas into kids’ heads!. We keep saying, “eat your greens, they are good for you!”. And if by any chance, they find something green that was not tasty, that sticks in their head (and not the other gazillion times when greens were tasty) and they start associating greens = not tasty. And we keep at our phrase of “eat your greens..”. No wonder they associate greens = not tasty!
Anyways, Sonshine loves this smoothie! For a long time, he did not know that there was spinach in this. He wanted to register for a competition at school (submit a recipe, and if you win, cook at school district’s kitchen). Well, I had to reveal my secret for this vegan spinach berry smoothie (boy! was he surprised) – and we started calling it the mean hidden green smoothie 🙂 .
Unfortunately, mommy dearest, forgot to submit the recipe on time for the competition, so Sonshine did not compete. But he did learn how to make the vegan spinach berry smoothie.
Some tips for making vegan spinach berry smoothie
- The portion size – This serves our family of three, well, it is two adults and a kid. Along with this smoothie, I also serve a smaller portion of Indian breakfast or avocado toast or on an extremely busy morning, a fried egg.
- This is a very adaptable recipe, and you can increase or decrease ingredients to suit your taste. If you use a strong blender, there is no need to chop anything. They directly go into the blender and the blender does the rest. Amp up the nutritional value by adding chia seeds (the powerhouse of nutrition) and use sweetener of your choice. We at Framed Recipes, do not follow a vegan diet, so there are days when I use honey as sweetener, it all depends on what I have at hand.
- You can portion size the ingredients for this smoothie, and store in the freezer. In the mornings, just blend ’em all together! Nutritious breakfast ready in minutes, with no hassle.
- Recommended coconut water: If you have read my coconut 101 post, you will know that I am not a big fan of commercially available coconut products (when you have tasted the real deal, everything else falls short). But due to convenience and lack of availability of the fresh coconut water, I started using the coconut water available in tetra packs. I have tried many different brands and the closest to “fresh” coconut water that I have found here in the US are the ones from Kirkland Brand and Harvest bay coconut water.
- Sometimes, I throw in a bit of the microgreens (I use them on my avocado toast), also to amp up the nutrition.
5 minPrep Time
5 minCook Time
10 minTotal Time
- 1 tetra pack (330 milliliters) coconut water
- 1 cup frozen berries
- 1 banana
- 2 stalk celery
- Generous handful of baby spinach
- Sweetener of your choice; optional
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds (optional)
- Blend all the ingredients together till smooth.
- Serve immediately.
1. You can portion and pre-pack the smoothie ingredients (except coconut water) and save it in the freezer. This makes morning's breakfast time even simpler.
I mix and match different smoothies and milk shakes (oh, have you checked out my oatmeal banana milkshake yet? Give it a try, you will love it!) to bring in a variety in breakfast and also to cover different food groups. It is so much fun to play with food 🙂 .
More Super Fun Breakfast ideas at Framed Recipes
- Avocado Toast – Ready in minutes. Healthy and nutritious.
Chia Seeds Breakfast Bowl – This is my “rainbow” in a bowl, breakfast! It is like having dessert for breakfast
Khara Pongal Recipe – a classic South Indian breakfast dish – a hearty porridge style dish to start your day on a healthy note. Gluten-free
Oatmeal Banana Milkshake – Creamy & delicious Oatmeal Banana Milkshake – all healthy ingredients & whips up in a jiffy. Perfect for breakfast or as an after school drink.
Uthappam – Start your day on a healthy note with this Uthappam – savory Indian pancake – a perfect blend of carbs, proteins and vegetables.
What type of a person are you? Mad-rush-forget-breakfast OR breakfast-like-a-king? Let us know in the comments!
Like what you see? Subscribe NOW and never miss a post – subscribe to receive new posts via email. We won’t spam you and that is a promise.
Till we meet again…